Labor Day is an opportunity for rest from work. So Grassroots Church is celebrating the long Labor Day Weekend by encouraging you to rest on Sunday morning, September 4, instead of gathering together with us at our usual Sunday morning worship service.
So sleep late, and when you wake up, you will find a short devotional for you and your family to do together right here at grassrootspearland.org
Then, we’d like to encourage you to take some time out of your day to bless your local police department.
Why police? Many first-responders don’t get the day off to rest with their families. Would you consider blessing those police officers by delivering a gift to them on Sunday evening or Monday morning?
In other words, instead of “going to church” that weekend, we want to encourage you to be the church that weekend. After all, that’s what Grassroots Church is all about.
Here are some ideas of items to deliver to your local police station:
You can do any of these ideas on your own, or partner with some members of your Grassroots Group to help you.
- bake cookies, banana bread, or your baked-good of choice
- write several encouraging thank you notes (Grassroots Kids have already been working on homemade cards that say “Thank you for your service” and “We appreciate your hard work.”)
- put together a basket of several different energy drinks to help them make it through their workday, while everyone else gets to rest
- put together a basket of candy bars, protein bars, or other grab-n-go snack items
- if you personally know a first responder who is scheduled to work on Labor Day, give him/her a gift card to his/her favorite restaurant
- in whatever gift you give, feel free to leave a card or an invitation for our church
- (Friendswood Police Department specifically noted that officers are not allowed to accept gift cards, which probably applies to all departments).
Don’t know where your local police station is? Here’s a list:
Pearland (about 25 people) — 2555 Cullen Blvd, Pearland, TX 77581
Friendswood (about 12 people per shift, 3 shifts per day) — 1600 Whitaker Dr, Friendswood, TX 77546
League City (Sunday about 20 people, Monday about 50 people) — 555 W Walker St, League City, TX 77573